Perhaps more info than you want, but this is a decent write-up on lead/acid
batteries followed by another one a chargers:

A look at the differences between auto and aircraft batteries, plus some
tips on maintenance.
Bob Fritz - May 20, 2009

The engine wont start, or it turns slowly. But your battery is only two
years old, and it was expensive! Dang it…the thing should work, and you
should be flying right now.

You’ve been there, done that and cursed the battery. Sometime during the
process of pulling the old one out and installing a new one, you probably
toyed with the idea of going to an auto-supply store and buying a cheap
battery; its only used for starting and you could hand-prop the plane, so
why incur the expense? How different could they be?

With that as my premise, I went off to the battery manufacturers with a few
basic questions: Are airplane batteries different from automobile
batteries? If not, why the higher cost? If so, then how are they different,
and do they require different maintenance? The short answers: Yes, airplane
batteries are different; and, yes, they require different maintenance.
Into the Way-back Machine

First, let’s review the nature of the beast. Although Ben Franklin coined
the term, and the first battery was built before 250 BCE, in Baghdad, the
first practical battery was invented in 1859 by French physicist Gaston
Plant. Today there are several variations on it with techno-names such as
recombinant gas and absorbed glass mat, but at their heart, they’re still
based on Plants idea.

Our friend Plant was fiddling around in the lab with lead, which seemed to
be very resistant to the effects of acid. He discovered that, though the
lead wasn’t eaten away as were most other metals when dunked in acid, the
combination did generate a voltage. More significantly, he discovered that
this battery could be discharged and then re-charged. But he was stuck at
2.2 volts per circuit. It didn’t matter if the lead plate had more surface
area or a greater thickness; it was 2.2 volts per plate. We’re still there.

Raising the voltage was easily done; just add more plates and connect the
positive lead on plate #1 to the negative lead of plate #2. Connect the
voltmeter to the remaining poles, and you see 4.4 volts. Put six sets of
plates together in this fashion, and you get 13.2 volts.

My expert on the subject of batteries, Skip Koss, at Concorde, laughed when
I asked why its called a 12-volt battery if its really 13.2 volts. Ive no
idea, he said. Tradition! I got a call from a guy wanting to know what was
wrong with his battery; it was down to 11.5 volts and wouldn’t start the
airplane. I had to tell him it was a dead battery, but I couldn’t convince
him that the numbers don’t really tell the story.

Before going further, lets define a few terms and offer a couple of
analogies:

Voltage (V) is the potential to do work; think of it as water pressure,
measured in PSI.

Current (amps) indicates how many electrons are flowing through a
conductor, measured in Amp-hour (Ah). Multiply amps times hours and you get
amp-hour. Think of this as gallons per hour such as in a large river.

Power (watts) is amps multiplied by volts, measured in gallons per hour at
some psi. A large, fast-flowing pipe filled with water under pressure.

Watt-hours. All of the above multiplied give you the equivalent of gallons
per hour for a number of hours. Visualize a large fast-flowing river able
to flow for a lot of hours.

Its about as obvious as a thumb tack on a church pew that rating a battery
in amp-hours is not the best measure of the battery; watt-hours would be
ideal, but the industry is stuck with Ah. Maybe thats short for Ah, well.
Trade-offs and Compromises

Plant also discovered that with plates having a greater surface area, he
got more power (amperage) to turn heavy loads; with thicker plates, he got
a longer discharge time. Think of the plate as a sponge for electrons; with
a lot of surface area the electrons are on the surface; a thick sponge has
them deeper in.

The other trade-off is in the system voltage. If you have a 1200-watt
device, you need a combination of voltage multiplied by amperage: W = V x
A. But as amperage goes up, the wiring gets hot. 12 volts x 100 amps = 1200
watts, and that will definitely heat the wiring. Ever notice how hot jumper
cables get?

But if you raise the voltage, you can lower the amperage: 24 volts x 50
amps = 1200 watts. Now you can use smaller gauge wiring. The only problem
is that 24-volt devices are more expensive.

Think on that for a minute, and you’ll see that these factors can be traded
around according to the requirement. A large airplane needs to have a
deep-discharge capacity to run flaps, avionics and landing gear in case the
generating system quits. That means a 24-volt system (or more) and a
battery with thick plates for deep discharge. (Remember that how its wired
internally, not plate geometry, determines the voltage.) Every pound and
dollar counts for more in a small airplane, so that 24-volt system with its
expensive components and big battery is a no-go.

But a car uses a 12-volt system, so could we just use a car battery? Not a
good idea. In the course of the day you’ll start your car several times.
These are short-duration, high-power events that require plates with a
large surface area. If you keep cranking, the car battery will quickly go
flat. Do it repeatedly and the battery will become junk. For instance, put
a car battery in a wheelchair, and you can expect about 30 days of use even
with daily charging.

Your small airplane, though, wants only one or two events like this each
day, but if the generating system quits, the battery has to keep the lights
and radios running until you get the plane on the ground. Thats a
requirement for light weight, lower amperage and longer duration, which
means thick plates.

A boat is a similar situation, but weight doesn’t matter, so thick plates
are fine, but component expense keeps it to 12 volts. A golf cart must have
endurance and only needs to run one component, so it uses thick plates and
up to 48 volts…you get the idea.

Its interesting to note that as cars become far more electrified, the
manufacturers are contemplating a move toward higher-voltage batteries.
And, of course, all the hybrid cars on the road use very high voltage. A
Toyota Prius battery module puts out 273.6 volts and has a 6.5 Ah capacity.
That’ll get you started.
Stacking the Deck

That, in turn, leads to the division of lead-acid batteries into two
groups: deep-cycle batteries and starter batteries. Any combination of
these two ends of the spectrum results in a middle ground thats not really
good at either application.

Geometry can be employed to help out for either group. Total surface area
is the parameter we’re looking at in large plates, so take a small plate
and punch a lot of holes in it. You get a lot of surface area and light
weight in a small package. Now make the plate a bit thicker, and you get
deep discharge. It’s not a perfect solution, but it helps.

The battery box can help out as well. They come in two groups: flooded and
non-flooded. Deep-cycle flooded cells usually have removable caps that
allow you to replace any loss of electrolyte. These are on older cars and
garden tractors, and they’re still available. Sealed flooded cells don’t
have caps, so the electrolyte cannot be replenished. When the electrolyte
level has dropped, the battery must be replaced.

Keep those configurations in mind as we jump into a bit of basic chemistry.
The electrolyte in the battery is sulfuric acid (H2SO4) which, in the
process of making electricity, breaks down into gaseous hydrogen and oxygen
that simply blow away into the atmosphere. No Smoking signs abound in the
battery shop for good reason. Whats left behind in the battery are sulfates
in the liquid.

From this you can see that adding fresh electrolyte would imbalance the
mixture; if you add distilled water, however, it can combine with the
excess sulfate and return the mixture to a balance.

This is done automatically in the valve-regulated lead-acid (VRLA) battery.
The idea is to minimize the loss of hydrogen and oxygen by sealing the
battery and keeping it pressurized at 1 to 4 psi. The extra pressure helps
to recombine 99% of the gases back into water and then mix with the
electrolyte, keeping the mixture closer to optimum.

It’s not perfect for two reasons: One, the battery has to be vented to
prevent excess pressure buildup, so there will be some losses; and two,
there’s another actor on our chemical stage. Those sulphur atoms, the S in
H2SO4, don’t just float around waiting to bond to water; they turn into a
crystalline form called sulfates. It’s a natural part of the process, but
can be avoided by keeping your battery charged. A cautionary note is in
order: Not all chargers are the same; the wrong one can destroy the
battery. We’ll discuss chargers in a separate article next month.

Either of these groups, deep-cycle flooded or sealed flooded batteries,
will work if you’re a non-aerobatic pilot and/or never get into much
turbulence. But if you’re the negative-G type, you want the liquids under
control. Enter the VRLA sub-groups of gel and absorbed glass mat (AGM)
batteries.

As the name implies, in a gel battery the electrolyte has been thickened to
a gel with an agent such as fume silica. No splash, just dash. AGM
batteries go low-tech and just soak up the liquid with a sponge made of
fiberglass.

Neither of these will leak if the case is cracked, and both are within the
VRLA group, so they recombine the hydrogen and oxygen. You begin to see,
then, that the technologies can be combined in different ways, making it
quite hard to absolutely classify an individual battery.

There’s another advantage to gel and AGM batteries: They’re tougher. Pure
lead is soft with little mechanical strength, so its usually alloyed with
antimony. However, antimony also increases the self-discharge rate to as
much as 40% per month. With a gel or AGM battery we have the internal
construction for supporting higher purity lead, so that discharge rate
drops to as low as 2%. The result is that these batteries can be left in
your airplane without being charged for quite a bit longer than your
typical car battery.
Putting It All Together

Add this last bit of knowledge to the selection process and we see that,
for our smaller airplane, we want 12 volts for low-cost components; we only
start it once or twice a day so we don’t need large plates; it needs thick
plates for long-duration use; it should be sealed to guarantee a
non-leaking electrolyte; and it will sit sometimes for a month or more, so
it has to have a low self-discharge rate. Those are not the requirements
placed on a car or tractor battery, so it narrows our choice to AGM or gel
types designed for aircraft. With one more factor, capacity, brought on
stage, you’ll see that out of this morass of technology there appears a
clear winner.

Total capacity and available capacity are two terms not often referred to,
but they’re important for aviation batteries. Total capacity is, as the
name says, how much power is in the box. Think Ah or, better still,
watt-hours. Available capacity, on the other hand, is a function of how
fast you can convert chemistry into electricity. This value will always be
less than total capacity.

Heres where the let it rest advice after cranking for an abnormal period
comes in: You have to let the battery chemistry catch up, and the starter
motor and wires cool down. You can use that knowledge to help you on a cold
day. Cold weather slows the chemistry and reduces the cranking speed. Warm
up a cold battery by turning on the lights and radios for a few minutes.
Turn them all off and then start the engine with a battery thats had a bit
of warming.

This behavior was noticed back in 1897 by a German scientist named W.
Peukert. He described the charging and discharging behavior of batteries in
some rather neat equations. No, I wont go into them. I mention it only so
you electrical types can go get the details. Just remember that AGM cells
can be charged at higher rates than gel or flooded batteries.

The light shineth! Absorbed glass mat is the battery for airplanes.

Right now you’re probably wondering why Ive not discussed exotic batteries.
The answer is another factor called conversion efficiency, which describes
the efficiency of the conversion (not the speed) between chemical and
electrical energy. Simply put, the lower the internal resistance of a
battery, the better the conversion efficiency.

Monsieur Plants concept of lead-acid is still with us because it sits up
there at about 90% conversion efficiency compared to NiCad at 65% and
alkaline at 60%.
Shelf Life: Should You Care?

Any battery will self-discharge and, in the process, some of those sulfates
will crystallize on the plates. Charging knocks the sulfates off in a fine
rain of powder to the bottom of the case. The longer it goes without a
charge, the thicker the layer, so that when it does get charged, some of
the lead goes with the sulfate. The sulfate is an insulator, but now, with
the entrained lead, we have a conductor that, when the trash pile is deep
enough, shorts out the cells. You now have a battery somewhat akin to Monty
Pythons parrot: Hes not dead, hes just resting!

Older style batteries addressed this problem by having a deep case that
would allow the trash to pile up. AGM batteries encase the plates and mats
in sleeves as part of the structural bracing; because they are pure lead,
they don’t self-discharge so quickly and don’t build up the sulfates.
Therefore, they don’t need the trash bin, and the battery is smaller and
has a much longer shelf life.

One other problem here, though. Sulfates start as a spongy white coating
that in time hardens to a solid insulator, reducing battery power. The
buildup will eventually insulate enough surface that the area simply cannot
be charged, or when the battery can no longer reach 80% of the capacity for
which is was originally rated, its hasta la bye bye.
The Maintenance Regimen

You’ve heard the myth that if you let your car battery go dead three times,
its time to replace it. Sometime those myths are true. In this scenario,
the assassin is not always sulfates; instead, its physical damage caused by
unregulated charging.

Envision an empty milk carton being filled by a fire hose. Thats what
happens when an unregulated battery charger is attached to a dead battery.
Instead of blowing out the bottom of the milk carton, the influx of
electrons overheats the plates, warping and cracking them.

Additionally, the electrolyte can boil, and if the battery is sealed, the
pressure buildup may warp the case. All of this is obviously not good and,
just as obviously controllable.

One last bit of advice: Don’t just toss a battery of any size into the
junkyard. Drop it off at the battery store; old batteries are valuable and
recyclable.

The subject for next month: battery chargers. They’re not all the same, and
chances are yours is a battery killer.

Are All Battery Chargers Alike? We test charger and desulfation systems,
and the results may shock you.
Bob Fritz - June 14, 2009

Last month we went through battery basics and saw that different
requirements translate into different hardware. Wed been trying to find an
approach to this subject for a couple of months when we were contacted by
Bill Woods of VDC Electronics with an offer to assist in a piece on battery
chargers and how they relate to aviation batteries. He was enthusiastic
about a new charger the company had developed specifically for aviation and
wanted to tell us about it.

Sensing an opportunity for some new information, we continued the
conversation. For the sake of objectivity we also contacted representatives
at Concord and Odyssey, and then spent the day at a Teledyne Battery 101
class. Teledyne is the maker of Gill batteries. It soon became apparent
that this was really two stories, one about batteries and another about
battery chargers.

Comparison Shopping

If you have a decent voltmeter, Id suggest you check the output of your
charger. You might be as surprised as I was to find your assumptions wrong.
I have six chargers in and around the shop, so I decided to compare them.

Number one is a 1-amp motorcycle battery charger. A check with the
voltmeter showed it was putting out 14.2 volts at a constant 1 amp.

Number two is a fairly new auto battery charger with a row of LEDs showing
the variable amperage; it put out only 11.6 volts.

Numbers three and four are from the same manufacturer and came in at 13.2
volts with variable amperage. Number five is an older car charger, but it
put out a measly 11.3 volts and variable amperage. Number six pushed 14.7
volts with variable amperage.

Several months ago I had left number one connected overnight to the battery
in my wifes Cessna 172. The next morning I had an acid-etched hole in the
concrete floor of the hangar and a destroyed battery! So much for the
notion of small equals safe chargers.

You might assume from this experience that the lowest voltage charger with
variable amperage would be the safe one. Woods dispelled that notion with
the explanation that low voltages promote the formation of sulfates on the
plates. Youll recall that these sulfates are a leading cause of battery
death. And a charger with insufficient voltage will charge a battery to
less than its full potential. So I could toss numbers one, two and five
into the trash.

Right now you’re probably thinking, Some people collect stamps and he
collects battery chargers…it takes all kinds. No, Im not that weird. Number
one was for motorcycles; 40 years ago it made sense. Numbers two and five
were for cars in two locations. Numbers three and four are desulfating type
chargers used on two airplanes in two locations. Number six is a
desulfating charger designed specifically for Odyssey 12-volt batteries. I
recite this only to point out that chargers have changed a lot over the
years; yours may be more problem than cure.
You Don’t Need No Stinking Sulfates

But does the desulfation aspect work? To answer that I put three used Gill
G25 batteries on the bench and tried out charger number four; its aviation
specific and brand new. I was less than charged up with the results.
However, in fairness, I contacted the manufacturer, VDC, for an
explanation. I was satisfied with the answer, but lets first look at the
results of the test.

As you can see from the OCV graph (Page 50), this test was continued until
no further improvement could be gained. The procedure was to charge for 24
hours, then rest for 24 hours, then test. Therefore, the test lasted 24
days on this one battery. I ran all three batteries through this sequence
with this being the typical result. You more electrically minded types will
also be interested in the specific gravity of the cells.

And the Winner Is…

I was using a state-of-the-art charger/desulfator, so I was surprised that
this battery did not achieve the minimum 80% required by the FAA. In fact,
none of the three Gill G25 batteries I tested hit that mark.

A call to Woods of VDC elicited some probing questions. To my
embarrassment, the probing questions were from him. It turns out that not
one of my three test batteries was a candidate for sulfation, because they
were not just below the mark of 12.6 volts, they were stone cold dead. As
Woods explained, Hey, our desulfator is good, but it cant bring back the
dead! So much for the hoped for Lazarus effect. (See the sidebar on Page 48
for a synopsis of your chances at resurrecting an old battery.) That
initial meteoric rise in OCV and SG did a pretty good job, though, and
settled to a level acceptable for my garden tractor.

As far as the performance goes, or the lack thereof, for chargers one, two
and five, Woods was adamant that under-charging could be as damaging as
over-charging. Sulfates form when a battery is allowed to reside in an
under-charged condition, and thats exactly what numbers two and five will
do. Number one boiled the electrolyte and warped the plates, so it became
an ex-battery as well, just more quickly.

In all fairness, I must say that numbers three, four and six are VDC
chargers that were sent to me by Woods. The first two are early and current
models of aviation-specific 12-volt chargers, while number six is dedicated
to and approved by Odyssey battery.

I found several other desulfators in kit form for less than $50 along with
a couple of desulfating chargers. The latter cost more than $1000, and
thats a bit out of range for the average kit aircraft builder. The
homebuilt version is in test as I write this, so well have more on it later.

The other option for keeping a battery charged is a solar cell. Although
some folks swear by them, I cant endorse them for the same reason Im
disappointed with three of the plug-in chargers: low voltage. Of course,
low voltage input is better than no voltage, but given the cost of aviation
batteries that route would appear to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Given the results (see the chart), would I recommend the units from VDC? Id
have to say yes, partly in light of the dismal results displayed by those
chargers obtained at the auto parts store, and partly because of knowledge
gained from a broad range of sources.

Another factor in my thumbs up to the BatteryMINDer from VDC is that its
the only charger Ive seen that included a third wire with a ring lug. Said
lug sends a temperature reading back to the black box and adjusts the power
going to the battery according to the temperature of the battery. The ideal
output of 13.1 volts is valid for a battery temperature of 77 F (25 C). Let
the battery temp go above 125 F (52 C), and serious damage will be done. So
when the battery goes above that 25 C, the sensor sends a signal that
throttles back the output 28 millivolts per degree C.

How easy is it go above 125 F in your hangar? Probably not easy, but
consider that the Cessna battery I boiled was in the shade on a cool
October day. The OAT is just the starting point.

The bottom line is this: It’s easier to keep a battery healthy than to
resurrect it. And given the price of a new battery, it’s also likely to be
cheaper to buy a good charger than a new battery.
Is Your Battery a Candidate for Desulfation?

In our testing of desulfation we discovered that the dead shall not rise.
So how would you know if you should bother to try resurrecting a battery?
How good/bad does it have to be to be a candidate for desulfation?
Fortunately, this is about the easiest aspect of the entire picture of
batteries, chargers and desulfation do-hickeys.

Disconnect the battery leads. It is essential that there be no loads on the
battery.
Charge the battery to its fullest capacity with a charger that limits the
current. Use caution here. Its tempting to use an el-cheapo charger and
leave it overnight. That can overheat and destroy the battery.
Allow the battery to just sit for a minimum of 12 hours.
Measure the battery’s voltage and record the reading. You’ll need a digital
voltmeter ($20 at Radio Shack).
If there’s more than 12.6 volts on a 12-volt battery or 25.2 volts on a
24-volt battery, your battery is a prime candidate and is likely to recover
as much as 80% of its lost capacity.

How to desulfate is another question.

You could simply shock-charge the battery by attaching it to some
outrageously high voltage for a short period. Bad idea! That runs a high
risk of destroying the battery and is not recommended by any of the
manufacturers.

Better idea: Use a high-frequency pulse type desulfator. Leave it connected
for a minimum of 72 hours, and then let it rest for 12 hours before
retesting. Battery voltage should have increased when compared to the
voltage you measured in Step 4. Desulfate for an additional three day-72
hour/12 hour period and test again. If the voltage has increased when
measured in the same way as in Step 4, continue desulfating until you no
longer measure an increase in the battery’s open circuit voltage (OCV).

If the sulfate has not already caused permanent damage to your battery, you
can expect higher cranking amps and longer life from a battery that would
not have passed the annual. The FAA requirement is that the battery must
have 80% of its maximum OCV.

Note: Although sulfate is by far the major cause of early battery failure
and loss of power, it is not the only reason. Vibration can cause
structural damage, contamination occurs through the use of non-distilled
water, and long-term under or over charging can cause active material on
the storage plates to slough off, and it falls to the bottom of the cell,
eventually shorting the cells out.

As with our own bodies, prevention beats rehab every time. Keep your
battery fully charged at all times, especially during extended periods of
non-use, and you wont need to worry about shortened battery life or loss of
performance.

--
OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!