I think my late father-in-law had it down pretty well. He had an 18 foot
fiberglass runabout(?) with a decent sized outboard on it that was on a trailer
he could park in the carport of their house. He towed it with their Buick to
the local launches on the Gulf and just went out to fish or crab. He didn’t
have to spend a lot to maintain it, and since he was able to store it at home,
there were no real costs involved there.

I’m sure he didn’t make any money when he sold it, but I don’t think the
overhead during ownership was significant, either.

-D