>From the diagram, bottom 1/3, there is a temperature control switch, right
hand side of the diagram. I would suspect it is now failing to close the
circuit to the compressor.
In fact, I suspect it has been sub-par for some time which is why it was
"running continuously".

Many years ago, a refrigeration mechanic told me to never keep a freezer
empty because it overworks the components trying to keep the empty freezer
cold and at the set temperature.
His advice was to fill any empty space with water bottles and let them
freeze. The interior of the freezer will then stay cold soaked at the set
temp and reduce the total run time required to maintain set temp.
Also, should you have a power loss, the mass of frozen ice in the bottles
will help prolong the cold soak of the box. [Presuming you keep the door
closed]