Folks,

We're down on Tybee Island (Savannah) for the next couple of months. Granted, that's no sacrifice, BUT occasionally we do leave the island and with the air conditioning out in the 1982 300TD, it's no fun in the coastal heat.

OK. Good working system until today. On my way down here a week ago, it was occasionally screeching ... i assumed belt was slipping, etc. Today, when i fired the car up on vegetable oil (somehow i doubt if that relates to the ac problem), it screeched, loudly, i stopped to look and smelled the stench of burnt clutch lining. We did our trip with the windows down (at least they work) and when i got home and things cooled down a bit, i tried to turn the compressor. It seems to be pretty locked down. I can only turn it about 10 degrees back and forth.

Our other car is a peugeot 505 sw8 (with working ac). I checked that one and i can easily turn the compressor by hand.

So, can ac clutch failure jam things up? Or, did failure of the compressor cause clutch failure in that order.

I assume i have to evacuate and save the R-12 (yes i'm running that), replace compressor, then evacuate and recharge the system??

The compressor is a round (delco? r-4??)looking object like one would find on an old american car.

I saw it replaced by the previous owner maybe 5 years ago. I don't know if he used rebuilt or new. I'll bet the car hasn't been driven 20,000 miles in that time. What's the expected life of such a rebuilt compressor? Sources?? Expected cost, numbers of correct models, etc?

Feel free to reply to me directly as well as to list.

I'm going to the beach, now, but my wife wants me to fix this!!

thanks,

xx rick
Rick Hawkins

about 10,000 miles WVO 82 300TD