The ML550 sunroof has been non-functional since I bought it. I knew this at the
time, so no surprise. Not a big deal to me, but today more out of curiosity
than anything else I tore into it.

Found the motor unplugged. Hmm.

Plugged it in, tried to operate it. It tried to move, but wouldn’t go full
travel or close completely. Found some plastic pieces in the tracks, not good.
When it did move it was crooked in the opening, which also wasn’t good.

Used the manual crank on the motor to get everything back in place and then
went inside to do some research.

Seems that the Webasto sunroof on these is a one-piece setup, much of which is
plastic (grr.) The plastic wears and is subject to lots of heat in the roof, so
it ages and gets brittle and breaks up. Only fix - $900 part that requires
removal of the headliner to replace. Bummer.

However, I was planning on replacing the headliner, and my upholstery guy is
right up the street from the stealership and does a lot of work for them. I may
see if I can coordinate something between the two so he can take the headliner
out, run the car down to the dealer where they can replace the mechanism and
get things working, then take it back so upholstery guy can finish the work.

While it would still be expensive, probably over $1,000 at the dealer alone, it
would end up being a lot cheaper as I wouldn’t have to pay them to R&R the
headliner.

I gotta think about this.

-D