If it uses taillight socket arrangements similar to the W210 there’s a good
chance t’s just corrosion.

Youngest son’s 2002 E320 has a reverse light in the trunk lid that is
intermittent. I’ve tinkered with it numerous times and no matter what I do it
seems to have a life of it’s own. New lamp, cleaned the contacts, etc., etc.
Just a lousy design.

Headlight squirters in later models seem to be a failed effort to clean the
headlights. I’m not sure that they’re effective, at all.

-D