I'm glad my instructions are useful!

As for the clips, there are two... the C shaped clips that hold the cable
housing to the lever assembly can be removed with your fingers or a flat
head screwdriver.  They will go flying so be careful.

The second clips are the ones that hold the cables to the levers - the
castelled washers, can just be pried off with a small screw driver.
They'll also go flying if you're not careful.

The outer cables for the lower levers are different - you need to access a
philips head screw from above in order to release the cables.  I assume I
talked about this in the instructions on my site (which I wrote 20 years
ago, so I don't remember).

As for any parts that might go flying, you can order them from the classic
center.  Its best a send a photo of what you need.  There are many many
different variants of these levers and cables and I'm always surprised when
I find another version.

I suspect a new blower motor is in your future.  The one in my 4.5 recently
died and I need to replace it also.  Its not as terrible of a job as the
internet would lead you to believe.  There are more difficult jobs, for
sure.

Good luck
Jaime

On Sat, Nov 12, 2022 at 7:35 PM David Bruckmann via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> I'm finally addressing the ventilation system on my W108 280SEL 4.5.
>
> Months ago the fan stopped, with resultant stream of smoke. Today I removed
> the cowl and cabin filters (ordered new ones from MB) and reached in to
> turn the motor. It is VERY stiff, but less so now. Drenched it in ATF and
> will let it sit.
>
> While I'm at it, years ago I ordered new control levers and this seems like
> the right time to install them so that I can actually regulate the fan
> speed, for example.
>
> So I followed Jaime's excellent instructions and I am now at the
> "disconnecting" stage. Is there any advice apart from not losing clips and
> so on? I'm guessing the castellated washers or whatever they're called that
> grip the shaft are simply something one squeezes to release, or am I in for
> a struggle?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> D.

Jaime Kopchinski