> Hadn't heard that they could go "full auto." That would be a surprise I
> imagine.

Semi-auto guns have MORE parts in them to ensure that they don't fire
again when they close back up, unless the trigger is cycled again.
But if something's broken...  No worse surprise than finding a semi-auto
pistol whose trigger is actually a "magazine empty" switch!  Pull it once
and then hang on until the magazine is empty.  Yikes.  I've heard of it,
but never experienced it.

> I don't own any pistols -- my understanding is that Glocks don't have a
> traditional safety "switch" as such, but they do have mechanisms to prevent
> firing other than by a deliberate trigger pull.

Indeed.  The great unwashed, upon hearing that a gun (like a revolver,
or a Glock) doesn't have a safety switch immediately assumes "OH MY
GOD IT'S NOT SAFE!"  No, that's not a logical conclusion.

Magical thinking, it's everywhere.

A gun without a separate can-point-to-it safety lever is no less safe
than a car without 'go-fast' stripes on it is not fast.  Its safety, or speed,
is NOT INHERENTLY RELATED to these things.  But rather, other things.

Glocks have something like three different mechanisms in them to ensure
that unless you pull the trigger they won't fire.  Revolvers have internal
design features to ensure the same thing.  But, being mere machines, they
can be broken so that they're not working as intended.  Less safe than they're
supposed to be.

Any gun that fires when the trigger is not pulled is not safe.  And is probably
broken.

-- Jim