I had not yet unloaded this new 01CL600 I got on Tuesday from the trailer so
had time to do it today. The guy I got it from said the oil was low and had the
oil cooler leak.

I had bought a generic dipstick and when I went to get the car I measured it
and the guy said it should be between these plastic marks on the dipstick. I
added about 4qt of some cheap oil as I didn’t want to damage the engine driving
it up on the trailer, figured that was sufficient to run it for a few minutes.

Today I added a bit more, maybe 2qt, to back it off the trailer and move it
around. Measured it and figured 6qt would be good even though it wasn’t on
those marks.

Started right up and was blowing oil smoke like and old steam engine. Horee
sh*t!!!  No mosquitoes today but I would have killed them all. I rolled it off
then shut it down.

Decided maybe I should figure out how much on the dipstick I should have in the
car. It has mm/cm up to 200mm. Took a bit of searching to actually find some
info about it. 10.5-11.5cm!  I had like twice as much oil in there, maybe more,
than what it should have. Total idiot.

I got the oil sucker out and have pulled out maybe 7-8qt and it is still high
on the dipstick. So tomorrow I’ll pull out more and get it where it needs to
be. I guess it was probably ok or even a little high when I went to get it and
not knowing where it should be I really overfilled it. Idiot.

I did start it up and it ran fine, not blowing smoke now, so I guess that oil
blowing out from somewhere into the exhaust. I’ll get it back to spec and see
how it is.

Now the thing is, there is no oil anywhere on the engine from a leak, and there
was just a small drip on the trailer where it has been sitting since Tuesday. I
have no idea what this guy was telling me about the killer oil cooler leak. The
car is throwing a fault for a cam sensor, just the Hall effect bit sensor, not
a cam timing problem, and it seems to be running a bit rich. I’ll see about
getting a replacement part.

The suspension was slammed when I went and looked at it the first time but I
hit the raise button and it popped right up. The guy thought it was buggered
but apparently didn’t know anything about it and never tried to raise it. When
I loaded it I put it on the highest setting (there are 3, normal then 2 higher)
and it sat at that level without sinking since Tuesday. So the hydraulic
suspension seems to be in perfect condition.

I looked at the car a bit more closely today too. The interior is almost
perfect. The body is 9/10 although I didn’t get a chance to wash it as I had
some other chores and to get the oil sucked out.  I replaced one fuse and got
the trunk closer working although it won’t raise up. There seem to be a couple
other things I need to check out, and put a “new” cluster in from the parts car
then try to figure out if I can reprogram the miles. That might be an issue.
Tires are old and ready to be replaced too but still have some tread.

I found what the guy paid for it at copart so they made a nice profit off me.
But if there is nothing particularly significant wrong with the car it would
still have been a pretty good deal. I’ll figure out more tomorrow. Once I get
the oil sucked out I’ll go for a short drive after adding some gas as I have no
idea how much is in it.

I have the title from the previous owner in Charlotte so I might try to call
him and see what he knows about the car.

So anyway, new car adventures. Merry Christmas to me!

--FT
Sent from iFōn