Clutch switch or a relay if it has one.
Everything is more complicated the newer the vehicle. I have a twenty three
year old Dodge and the starter relay for that controlled by the engine computer.

Rick

From: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Sent: January 7, 2023 4:29 PM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Cc: astr...@fastmail.fm
Subject: [MBZ] battery/alternator questions

Nissan Frontier had trouble starting the other night. Just dead, no click, no
indication starter was engaging at all. Battery seemed good, headlights bright,
etc but they tried jump-starting it and still nothing. Son had the truck away
from home and got some help bump-starting it (another good thing about manual
transmissions) to get it going. Ran fine once started.

Today the truck started fine. Starter sounds maybe a bit slower than I
remember, but it's also a bit cold today.

The starter is pretty new (NAPA reman installed about 6 months ago, give or
take). Battery is also new a few months ago.

So my thoughts are perhaps the safety switch on the clutch pedal is worn and
getting intermittently bad, or the "new" starter is already going bad.

I have not been able to reproduce the "no start" behavior since I've had the
truck here.

Also, battery voltage after starting while running at idle is 14.4 V. That
seems a bit high? Is it getting overcharged? With engine off it measures about
12.6 V, drops to about 12.2 V with headlights on.

Ideas?