On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 18:14:41 -0500 Allan Streib via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Hm, relay... I thought that's what the solenoid was. Will have to poke
> around under the hood in the relay boxes and see if there is one...

It depends upon who designed the starter.

Ford starters are (were) designed to throw the pinion gear into the ring
gear by a helix and whatever mechanical system whenever the starter was
energized and had external relays to switch the high-current connection
from the battery.

Mercedes starters are (were) designed to have an electrical solenoid
bolted to the starter to lever the pinion gear into the ring gear. The
electrical solenoid also has (had) a set of high-current contacts which
made the high-current connection from the battery to energize the starter
once the pinion gear was meshed with the ring gear.

Craig