Donald Snook wrote:
> I took a trip 300 mile trip the other day in my 1990 300SEL (128K) and I
> noticed that when I was climbing a long steep hill (steep for Kansas,
> not steep for anywhere else) my a/c would stop blowing very hard.   It
> was a very hot day and when the a/c would stop blowing it was
> noticeable.  When I crested the hills and proceeded down the hill the
> a/c would return full blast.   This was all at 75-85 mph.  Could this be
> a vacuum problem?

Probably a minor vacuum leak.  At large throttle openings manifold
vacuum drops to almost nil.  To allow the HVAC system to still function
properly, there's generally a reservoir somewhere and a check valve to
provide a steady vacuum source.  If the check valve is bad or there's a
leak somewhere, the vacuum will bleed down to nothing when you have your
foot in it for a long stretch, and the HVAC flaps will go to their
'default' positions.