If the primer pump is bad it’s DOA no matter what due to air getting into the
system or no fuel flow.

As I recall, when these fail the engine will not start.

Is it possibly the original “mushroom” style pump with the white plastic knob
that you have to unscrew to release it or the updated version with the black
(fixed) knob?

If it’s the original version I would change it to the updated pump on principle.

-D