> If the primer pump is bad it’s DOA no matter what due to air getting into the
> system or no fuel flow.

In a pinch you can re-seal the originals.  My 2006 notes on the 240D we had:

Had a look at the manual fuel primer pump.  Not as leaky as I'd
thought.  A little exercise seems to have helped it out too.  I pulled
it off and had a closer look at it.  Really quite a simple device.
The big worry is that if it leaks fuel when you use it it's in danger
of leaking air when you're not using it, and causing starting or
running problems as a result.  The knob on top screws down against a
sealing ring that's on the shaft of the pump, it's very easy to see
how it works and what kind of condition it's in (when off the engine
that is).  The air seal on this one was marginal, but still intact.
Figuring that it was worth a shot, I got out my gasket punch set and
punched a clean 3/4" hole in a sheet of Buna-N rubber scrap I got
from a supply house.  (They couldn't figure out how to sell me such a
small piece, yet it's probably a lifetime supply for my needs.)  Then
I cut out a circle around this, with scissors (the OD is non-critical)
and substituted this for the very tired seal that was on the pump.
Fits fine, and works fine too.  That should reset the clock on that
pump.

-- Jim