Jim Cathey wrote:
> A trunk-mount antenna base, sans mast, could have been for anything.
> CB, car phone, etc.  Without the mast you can't even get much of an
> idea what wavelength it was for.

When I had my 300D Turbo I put an antenna mount on the center of the
trunk lid for a 2m band amateur radio transceiver.  (The actual mount
was a standard NMO style that would accept any number of antennas.)
Placed exactly in the center of the trunklid, the mast would clear the
roof with the trunk fully open.  If I had the long 5/8-wave one on I had
to be a little gentle, though, because it would whip around and tap the
roof if I threw the lid open too fast.

I didn't put the mount on the roof because I was afraid of drilling into
part of the sunroof mechanism.

I used to use mag-mounts a lot, but I don't like them for semi-permanent
use because they invariably end up damaging the paint.  If that's going
to happen anyway, I'd rather just drill a hole and put in a fixed mount,
because at least then I can do a neat, intentional-looking job of it.
For cars I just couldn't bear to drill into, I've used glass-mount antennas.