> My 300SD W126 has not yet been converted to R134 and the AC does not run
> ICE COLD.  Should I try to hunt down some freon, or convert to R134?  Is
> R12 still available or prohibitively expensive?

I recommend testing the system thoroughly for leaks.  A proper test can
take years.  Costs about $6 (or used to!) to test-fill.  It's also more
effective
than R12, and is mineral-oil compatible.  In the hottest climes it might not
work so well, or so I've heard.  (Gas thermodynamic details omitted here.)
Vacuum, fill, and enjoy.  Repeat as necessary.

Here in WA you can't even buy R134 over the counter anymore.  The enviro-weenies
(?) seem to have closed that 'horrendous loophole'.  Only licensed shops can
have it.
Or, for me, drive the short distance to ID and buy all you want.

-- Jim