From: dan penoff.com via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: Okie Benz <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: dan penoff.com <d...@penoff.com>
Sent: Sun, May 28, 2023 4:26 pm
Subject: Re: [MBZ] AC Overcharged Question!!!

AC is all about pressures and temperatures. It’s not something you can guess at
and expect a specific outcome.

And just as an aside, I suspect the 10 degrees comment was an embellishment
rather than an exact reading. These systems have a low temperature cutout that
would shut off the compressor if the evaporator freezes or temperature gets
below a setpoint.

There was a hack for the W126 chassis cars I used to do to mine:

The compressor cutout on these was a mechanical switch connected to a capillary
tube that was positioned between the evaporator fins in the heater box. It’s
easy to remove. I think they typically cut out at 40F or maybe slightly below
that. You could recalibrate them by putting the capillary into a glass of
crushed ice/water to get it down to near freezing. Using a test light or an
ohmmeter, you calibrated the switch to open at the lower temperature.

Made a big difference in places like Florida, believe me!

-D