Yep, $1M, properly invested, would be a safety net and provide a livable if
spartan income indefinitely if needed, or could be a very comfortable
retirement eventually if allowed to compound for long enough.

Most people would not do that, they would spend it all fairly quickly and then
be back where they started except now they have all the obligations that come
with what they bought.

If you buy a $500K house and don't have the ongoing income to insure it, pay
the taxes, and maintain it, you won't be living there long.