The pan was off less than 20k miles ago, so unless something odd happened I can't imagine that much buildup would have occurred that quickly. Not that I'm dismissing the clocked screen, but I would be very surprised if that was the case. If the gauge checks out, the pan will be the next thing to check.

J.B.

At 09:14 AM 6/28/2006, you wrote:

Clogged pickup screens are pretty common on old tractors that had been run for years with non-detergent oil, any dirt or crud that got into the engine settled into the oil pan. Common practice when switching to detergent oil is to drop the pan and scrape the crud out. Guess what I need to do on my tractor this fall?

  -Curt
  '52 Farmall Super M

  Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:52:19 -0400
From: "LarryT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Sudden loss of oil pressure
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

Have you owned & maintained the car since new?  I had a 280S that the
PO
failed to have regular oil changes - the intake screen on the oil pump
pickup was partially clogged with debris and it would act as you
describe as
it starved for oil.  Had another used MB with similar symptoms that had
main bearing fail.

Those are extreme possibilities - especially if the maintanence history
is
questionable - checking the gauge 1st is the prudent thing to do.

Good luck -

Larry T (67 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)
Weber Carb Info
http://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs
Porsche Road Test
http://members.rennlist.com/roadtest/