My buddy Todd called me with a shady deal. He picked up a 2017 S550 4m for $10k
clean title no key. The VIN sticker on the door pillar is gone but it has a VIN
plate in the windshield.  The title matches this VIN. Dealer can’t make a key
because the EIS and ECU VIN don’t match the windshield/title number. Oops.

It appears the original VIN was stolen and recovered. But somewhere in the
history the “new” VIN got put on the title by the insco and it is clean, no
salvage, no issues. Both VINs look good in carfax.

The car will need a new ECU+EIS+instrument cluster which can be bought from a
salvage car or on eBay. Then a new key can be generated from that stuff and
other modules can be brought into alignment and car should be ok. Also needs 2
front tires. All this would be about $2k.

Any interest?

--FT
Sent from iFōn