So my 2015 Jetta TDI has needed brakes for awhile now, they were pulsing
something terrible. I'd blamed it on Angie's riding the brakes. She does but in
this case I think it was actually my fault.

The pins on the front brakes had very little grease left. Pads looked fine but
I think the rotors were cupped, causing some of the pulsing. The pins also had
a coating of dried schmutz, presumably the remnants of the grease. I soaked
them in brake fluid and cleaned with a wire brush and very fine steel wool. I
found I had a spare in my parts bin so I swapped that in for the worst one.

When I reinstalled I coated them with a thick layer of Sil-Glyde silicone pin
lube. I only discovered it a few years ago and clearly needed to put some on
the last time I did these brakes.

The rear pads were worn but the rotors were trashed, big chunks out of them. I
had to spend considerable time cleaning the caliper frame to get the new pads
in. I think that rust jacking had trapped the pads and stuck them to the rotor
which destroyed it.

Anyway when I had the car in for a new timing belt recently they quoted me
$1500 for this job, all in I paid around $250. Took me just under 5 hours all
told and it would have been quicker but after I did the fronts I cleaned up and
took it for a ride which is when I realized I needed to do the rears too...

-Curt