I have a 4-way switch configuration in the basement (lights can be turned on or
off from three locations). Been working fine for years.

Suddenly it's acting strange. With the lights on, switch 1 and switch 2 will
turn the lights off, switch 3 will not. If I understand correctly, that
indicates that 3 is the bad switch.

However, if switch 3 is in the "up" position the other two switches don't work
(lights remain on, except briefly as the switch is toggled). There is no brief
cutout as switch 3 is toggled.

I am thinking switch 3 is the bad one, does that sound right?

Allan