Our garage was built with 2 3-way switches: one by the outside door to the
back, and one by the main opening.  Nothing by the door into the house,
and with the garage door opener you basically were _never_ conveniently
near a switch.  When I added on to the garage there was another door added,
also nowhere near a switch.

With considerable difficulty I added two more switches for the two interior
doors
we use, and both had to be 4-ways.  (Adding wall boxes and getting them wired
in was quite a chore.)  Those are the only two that get used, and of course they
are not cheap should they wear out.  So far, though, there have been no
failures.
Pushing 20 years now.

-- Jim