My 97 e320 with 133K decided to drag a rear brake on the way to a wedding last night. The car didn't seem right, and when I pulled over, the passenger side rear rotor was starting to glow red and smoking. I let it cool for a bit, then continued to the wedding (we were closer to it then home, and we would have missed it had we turned around to switch cars). The brake didn't seem to do it again though, both the rest of the way there and home, and it doesn't appear that the rotor warped.

I usually just drive this car around town, so it may have been doing this for awhile and I haven't noticed.

I see there are caliper rebuild kits - does this usually fix what causes a sticking caliper or should I buy a new one? Also, what else should I look at/replace that may have been damaged from the excessive heat? I am thinking perhaps the bearing?

Thanks,

Dave Wakin