Trampas wrote:
> Well I spend about $150-$170 a month on gas for my 420SEL which gets 19MPG.
> So if I went out and purchased a new hybrid, or more likely a manual TDI,
> that doubled my mileage I would save at most $100 a month. But at $100 a
> month it would take me 15-20 years to pay for the car.

No argument.  But there's a price of gasoline at which hybrids start to
make sense.  We're not there yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if we got
there in another decade.  I think Honda and Toyota know this and they're
investing in getting real-world experience with the technology.  When we
reach a point where hybrids make sense, they'll be ahead.  In that
regard all those Insights and Priuses they're selling at a loss
represent a sort of beta-test program.