Bill -
In my experience with things electrical and M/B if a bunch of weird stuff
starts happening it has got to either be a bad ground somewhere or a blown
fuse on an Over voltage Protection Relay. Since the '81 300SD doesn't have a
OPR then.....
Like the other listers have said, battery ground cable, bonding cables or
the grounds behind the instrument cluster. When you were changing out the
flasher you probably saw all the brown ground wires there. There must be
like 20 of them. On the battery ground cable be sure the wire lug is clean
and also the body that the lug is clamped against.

Barry