On 9/23/06, Mitch Haley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think it's national policy. (Like Discount Tire claims it's their national
policy, but at Discounts near me, they just run them down with impact. Even
have signs in the windows claiming "we handtorque all wheels".)

I bought tires at Discount once in part because of that promise.
Watched through the window between the waiting area and service bay as
the tech ran the bolts all the way in with the air wrench, then made a
great show of walking around the car with a clicker torque wrench,
which clicked on each nut as soon as he started pulling on it
(obviously because the bolts were way overtight!).  Needless to say
that was the first and last time I went there.  I bet "handtorquing"
means the same thing to a lot of tire monkeys.

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo
'93 Isuzu Trooper