On Sep 25, 2006, at 12:23 PM, andrew strasfogel wrote:

Thanks for bringing this up! We have a 2003 IMac with v. 9.0X OS and want
to upgrate to OS 10.XX   Questions:

1) Is this upgrade available for FREE at the Apple website?

Get the disks for cheap on eBay. Try for 10.2 for less, or 10.3 for better. Once installed you can hit the software upgrade button and it will download and get you up to date

2) Will we wipe out all our files if we do upgrade the OS from 9.0X to 10.0X
?

You can actually run both 9 & 10. 9 runs under classic, so your old software will still work.

3) Should I even attempt this at home, or should I ask my computer genius
son to do it for me?

It is MUCH less hassle than dealing with that garbage from Redmond. Insert CD, say yes to questions, sit back with a beer and let it install. Hit software update to get updated, drink more beer.