The question is, on a diesel with fuel injection, how can excess fuel get
into the oil?

Poor injector spray pattern, possibly engine speed or temperature dependent.
Leaky (internal) lift pump.  Internal leaks in the injector pump, which
shares the engine oil system.  Just some guesses off the top of my head.
I particularly suspect the latter, as some degree of leakage past pistons
is unavoidable and thus 'normal'.

The Ford system offers tremendous opportunity for fuel in oil scenarios.
Just be glad you don't have that one. (In particular the early 6l motors.)

-- Jim