Isn't the critical point that you *enter* the intersection (presumably
meaning either your the front-most point of your car, or your front wheels
- I'm not sure which - cross the white line on the closer side of the
intersection) before it turns red - rather than that you *clear* the
intersection (presumably meaning either the rear-most point of your car, or
the rear wheels - I'm not sure which - cross the white line on the far side
of the intersection)?

Also, is it the margin of the white line closest to the vehicle, or farthest
from the vehicle? Or the center of the white line? For example, in the NFL,
if you "break the plane" you have crossed the closest margin of the white
line if I'm not mistaken.

Personally, I'm *for* red light cameras. Running lights has become an
everyday occurrence everywhere, and people are getting t-boned, or run down
if you're a pedestrian, because of it.

And let's not be naive enough to think that we actually have and sort of
privacy in the first place that the cameras are supposedly violating. Any
cop can look through our windows and determine that we are doing something
wrong at any time.

For that matter, they can pull you over for the most illegitimate reasons.
Consider the big time polygamist guy that was busted recently. He was pulled
over because he had temporary tags (which I don't think is illegal). The cop
just got the feeling that he didn't belong around there, with his
red escalade, and decided to pull him over.

Brian
Not a polygamist

On 9/30/06, David Brodbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Mitch Haley wrote:
> David Brodbeck wrote:
>
>> That'd net him a fine of $1212, assuming you didn't get caught stealing
>> his plates. ;)  No license points, though.  Since they can't prove who
>> was driving there's no other penalty -- just a $101 fine.
>>

> I see, just a tax on the owner with no proof of personal culpability,
> like a parking ticket. I was thinking it was a traffic offense.

I got a look at one of the cams in action, last night, and I think I
might have been wrong about it only catching the rear plate.  I think
whether it catches your front plate or your rear plate depends on which
way you're going -- I think they're only using one camera per
intersection.  Makes sense.

I also think it might have caught me.  Light turned red before I cleared
the intersection, and I saw a flash.  Damn.  Of course, if I'm lucky it
was for a car going the other way...