Very good points.

Sad though, that the average driver is brain-dead enough as to plow into the
driver in front of them if they choose to obey a traffic signal. Belive me,
I know - I was rear-ended by a Caddiliac as I stopped for a red light on my
motorcycle.

I think what you're describing though, is people being so conditioned to the
common practice of squeaking every last millisecond out of a yellow (and
yes, red) light that if someone decides to act reasonably, they are posing a
danger with their unpredictability.

Brian

On 9/30/06, David Brodbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Zoltan Finks wrote:
> Isn't the critical point that you *enter* the intersection (presumably
> meaning either your the front-most point of your car, or your front
wheels
> - I'm not sure which - cross the white line on the closer side of the
> intersection) before it turns red - rather than that you *clear* the
> intersection (presumably meaning either the rear-most point of your car,
or
> the rear wheels - I'm not sure which - cross the white line on the far
side
> of the intersection)?

I *think* I've heard that -- that the camera only activates if you enter
the intersection after the light turns red.

> Personally, I'm *for* red light cameras. Running lights has become an
> everyday occurrence everywhere, and people are getting t-boned, or run
down
> if you're a pedestrian, because of it.

The problem is there's scant evidence that they actually reduce
accidents.  In some installations, accidents actually *increase*.
(Although generally the *types* of accidents shift to include fewer
T-bones and more rear-end collisions.)  That feeds my suspicion that
this is mainly about raising revenue without having to raise taxes, not
about safety.  In fact, the way the contract usually works is some
private company installs and runs the cameras, in exchange for giving a
percentage of the profits to the city.

It also represents a slippery slope. In Britain they have speed cameras,
some of which apparently have a tolerance as low as 3 mph over the
limit.  We're clearly headed that direction.