Plugging in the block heater to make the engine start points to two possible problems. The heating of the engine by the block heater is enough to cause the fuel to vaporize faster, makes the fuel warmer, taking a major burden off the glow plugs to start the engine .... I would remove the glow plugs and the ones with a black tip indicate duds ..... The short time the glow plug light is on, after trying several times to start the engine, might indicate a glow plug relay is not operating as designed... Wait a couple of hours and then turn the ignition key to start, after awhile the light will go out and then wait for a clicking sound,around 20 seconds, this sound tell you the relay is open and interrupts current flow to the glow plugs....Tip in cold weather, Do the above three times or more in cold weather to start the diesel. Started my 300 TD at -5F without a block heater.... Another tip: use a hair dryer blowing over the injectors and fuel line to start in cold weather takes about 20 minutes to work
Bill
1981 300 TD

Curt Raymond wrote:
Randy,

My first thought was gelled fuel but if it started with a warm block thats
probably not it.
My 240D would start at pretty much any temp down to freezing even without
glowplugs, it wasn't happy about it, it'd need to crank for longer than I liked
and it'd belch black smoke when it started but it did start...

So yeah, maybe its time to replace glowplugs and adjust the valves. Give it a
shot of isopropyl alcohol to sequester any water in the tank and maybe a shot
of anti-gel just in case.
Probably also a good time for new fuel filters and at least check the airfilter
too...

-Curt