What is the point this list?  I was under the impression that it was to
disseminate information about Mercedes.  So when some one says something
that is blatantly wrong, those of us who recognize the error are supposed to
sit by and watch?   Steve asked why 2 of his 123's start in second, and 1
starts in first.  So I replied:

"Mercedes has offered too many transmissions in too many different cars to
unilaterally say what gear a given car will start in. I think a 79 240D
should have a 722.117 and the 83 300D should have a 722.315  and both SHOULD
start in 2nd gear.  The 85 CALIFORNIA version should have what is
essentially a 201 chassis tranny in a case that fits in a 123 - I believe
this would be a 722.416, but either way, it SHOULD start in first gear.  A
Federal 85 should have the same 722.315 as an 83."

Kaleb, however, decided I was wrong, and "The 123 and 126 turbo cars start
in FIRST"

Except then Tom Hargrave, Jim Cathey and Peter Frederick all made mention of
cars that violated Kaleb's decree.  OK Don went on to quote his 115 Chassis
manual making mention of "1st. gear can be engaged only by means of
kickdown" ie, second gear starts.

Then Kaleb tried to show he was right by twisting his own words and saying
"they start in 1st, as I have said many times already.  The part about them
sitting in 2nd is correct, they sit in 2nd till you start moving, but start
in first."  Wait, did manage to contradict yourself twice in the span of two
sentences?

And then Mitch Haley goes on to say the W116 Service book states 300SD's
start in second.

Then Mike Canfeild decided to tell me I'm wrong, by saying that non-turbos
start in second gear.  Interesting - what did I say to contradict that?

Then Kaleb fesses up to 116's starting in 2nd.  Hmmmm....

So I make an effort to provide some actual facts behind what I, and EVERYONE
ELSE has been saying.  I don't see anyone else who has made the effort to
post anything remotely official, other than saying that I am wrong, then
backing it up evidence that furthers my point.

There has yet to be a single post from anyone other than Kaleb giving any
reasons for my being wrong - most people agree with me.  But everyone says
I'm wrong because Kaleb does.

You guys have spent too much time on eBay, and now its you guys that are
smoking the crack.

This is just ridiculous,
Mike