Right - it does not specify the gears in a neat table - but if you
look at page 41 -- yes, I quoted from that same manual:

I'll quote from page 41 of the factory original owners manual (not a
copy or reprint) from my last 1976 300D (115 chassis, pre turbo), part
no. 115 584 12 97 -

""D" Drive. All gears are available. 1st. gear can be engaged only by
means of kickdown."
""S" Slope. Shifting up to 3rd gear only. 1st gear can be engaged only
by means of kickdown.
""L" Low. Shifting up to 2nd gear only. The vehicle starts out in 1st
gear. For driving on steep grades, trailer operation in mountainous
areas and very slow bumper to bumper driving with frequent stops.
Independent of the accelerator position, 1st gear is available for a
wider speed range."

I believe that "1st. gear can be engaged only by means of kickdown."
implies that the car does not start from a dead stop in 1st gear,
unless it is in "L", or the accelerator has been depressed enough to
trigger the kickdown switch.