I'm glad I'm not the only one. I changed the belt, tensioner and shock. Haven't found it yet. I'll keep you posted.

John Peterson

Christopher McCann wrote:
I have the exact same belt swoosh and also thought it might be the  water pump.
I eneded up figuring that it was just the belts that needed  replaced, but I
have not done that yet...guess that did not solve your  swooshing.
Chris John Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Thank you- I did change the damper. It was cheap so I said what the heck. Funny thing is that if the belt is wet it goes away. I don't know what to do other than live with it- I at first thought it was the waterpump- I had one sound like this in a Saab I had. But that wouldn't explain why it is silent when the belt is wet.

Of all the major things I have been able to diagnose and fix myself, this little bugger is driving me mad!

John Peterson
Kingston RI  1991 300D

OK Don wrote:
I wonder if the swoosh might be from the tensioner damper being shot?
Did you replace it when you did the other work on the tensioner
assembly?
Check and verify that the center bolt in the tensioner arm is still tight --
I've never experienced the swoosh before - just guesses ----

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2006 GSD, "Anke"
-1985 300SD, 217K, "Wulf"
-1982 300Dt, 117K, "little blue klatter box"
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, "One Banger"
Sponsored Link

$200,000 mortgage for $660/mo - 30/15 yr fixed, reduce debt, home equity -
Click now for info