Now the next bother. Anyone around Portland Oreg. who could look at this car and take her for a test drive before I comit to drive it cross country. Let me know please and I will get the contact information. No power steering, and four on the floor. 0-60 in 10 minutes.

Regards Tom Scordato
Bellefonte PA
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Hargrave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 05, 2006 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 115 chassis 220D

Jim,

Since you mentioned the oil filter - there is one other item you need to
watch for.

There should be a plastic assembly inside the filter housing along with the
main replaceable filter. The assembly is the actual primary filter & the
replaceable filter is a bypass filter. You are supposed to clean the main
filter with kerosene & re-install it along with the replacement filter.
Later Mercedes diesels replaced this filter with the taller drop in filter
with 2 elements, the top paper pleated section for engine oil & the lower
mat section for bypass filtering.

Problem is the main filter has been discarded in some older Mercedes by
owners & oil changers because they don't understand what it is. And without this filter in place to take up the space in the filter housing, the bypass filter floats around in the housing and your engine oil gets no filtering at
all!

Also, stay away from Fram filters for newer Mercedes diesels. Their filters have pleated paper elements in both sections, making the bypass filter 100%
worthless & causing your idle oil pressure to run lower.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com
256-656-1924