EGR valve is no problem for me. But the ISCM is a new one on me. Is the ISCM different than the Idle Control Valve?

No, same thing.  They wear and get sticky, especially since they live
in a rather harsh place.

Would it make sense to get an ISCM from a salvage yard - or should I get a new one? Is it something I could do myself?

That's the sort of thing I do.  Works surprisingly often, too.  However
keep in mind that the thing is electrically-controlled, and middle-aged
MB's are notorious for having electrical problems.  I'd want more
assurance that it was not the control path acting up due to bad
connections, etc, before ponying up big bucks for the new motor.
At the very least I'd try going through the connections to this
device first.

-- Jim