Ya, we had an mbca director out to our section to teach a defensive
driving course. They said good tires are really good at either braking
or turning, but less effective doing both at the same time. In an emergency
brake then steer, or steer then brake. Standing on the brake is easy but
what most people don't realize is our benzs  (even my w140) is quite
capable of doing a sudden lane change in a *very* short distance.