Just a theory here but.......If your source of iron IS timing chain wear could it make any sense at all that the longer you run it the less it wears until the point of failure? I don't know how to explain what I am thinking......Kind of like there is less tension on the chain as it wears more so it would wear less until it breaks........Does what I am saying make any sense at all or am I just dreaming again?

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marshall Booth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 9:08 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Cold start

Curt Raymond wrote:
Since everybody else is posting about their recent cold starts...
It got to 13F here last night, was about 19F when I went out this morning. Let the glow light cycle and then maybe 20 seconds more, 2 pumps on the throttle and hold at halfway, hit the key and it fired up like it was 50F out, no worries whatsoever.

I'm pleased, this would seem to carry my theory that the iron levels shown in that car's oil analysis isn't really anything to worry about as long as each change continues to see levels fall.

-Curt
'85 190D "Dory" 254kmi

What does timing chain stretch look like? Timing chain wear is a common
source of "iron" in the oil.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.