You weren't hallucinating Kaleb, the military (not just LT, but the WHOLE
MILITARY), using their experience with electronics, actually made it LOOK
like the alternator was bad when really, it was just a slipping belt.  They
had had an elaborate scheme where by you were supposed to ignore the loose
belt and then the car would leave you stranded in a less than friendly
neighborhood, where you would be shot and killed by locals.  This would wipe
the eliminate any culpability the military had in your death.  Somehow, you
escaped their vile plan, but you have been warned - they're coming after
you!

Mike