The thing is that they are relatively easy to remove and disassemble, what I usally do is to take the motor out so I can turn the mechanism by hand and fit the new mast that way. This way it is easy to see/feel how the thing is working. That little steel wheel is critical to the operation of the aerial because it applies pressure, without that pressure the mast won't go all the way up/down but rather just move the mast up and down in the easy 2 and 3 parts of the mast. I usally pull any electric aerial I come across at the wreckers apart to see if there are any good parts inside, if not I reassemble the aerial and put it back in the boot for someone else to look at/buy.

----- Original Message ----- From: "BillR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 9:59 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 126 Antenna

Hendrik - Thanks for the note.  The antenna went down to the last section
[leaving about 8" out of the car] until the car wash jockey pounded on it.
It still goes down just that far, but now will not go all the way up [it
leaves at least one section not extended]. I do think there is an internal problem somewhere - and it sounds like I should try some disassembly to see
what all is broken.  I suspect a new mast will be needed, at least.  I
suppose in 25 years I can expect a bit of wear and tear, and a bit of time
and TLC will be a good investment. It makes sense to check twice and order
once rather than the other way around...
BillR
Jacksonville FL
1981 300SD  282 k Miles