On Jan 7, 2007, at 9:53 AM, Chris Kueny wrote:

The Lister engines available from India today use no spark.  ...
See www.utterpower.com    for all the details.

Chris K
Cayce, SC

After clocking 60 hours of gas generator use in dec here in the pacific NW I look at the various generator options just to understand the market. Mind this all has changed now due to the EPA jan 2007 regulations where most of the solutions might not even be allowed
to be imported anymore in the USA or Canada.

There are basically:

a) Lister based options (huge debate ongoing about ability to import to usa now) b) 12-20 hp (about) HP single cylinder engines from china based on a german design, water cooled.
c) multiple cyl large water cooled diesels made in china (20Kw+)
d) A thousand and one vendors rebranding kipo or kipo clone 6-6.5 kw single cyl diesel generators, enclosed on wheels or non-enclosed, the manuals are quite funny to read, thank goodness we don't need to let diesel settle in 55 gallon drums to deal with the dirt and water before usage. Mmm depends I guess on your supplier. Pricing for
these guys (same engine) varies from $900 to $4000 btw.
e) very nice kuboto, yamaha, japan diesel engine base systems for $$$$.

If for example you have a farm where you grow oil based products you can with a press generate vegetable oil and with a lister based system be totally off the grid, and if lucky sell power back to the utility.

Otherwise here with electricity at 6.33 cents a kwh it's hard to consider alternatives because utility electricity is so cheap, baring of course outages. Still of course if I could trip over a nice diesel yamaha/honda generator mis-listed on ebay somewhere for a song why the loud gas powered 6.5kw genrac I have would
get resold...

John
1983 300TDt  374k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1990's 300TDt  172k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1993 500SEL 185k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)