From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Curt Raymond
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 8:26 PM
To: Diesel List
Subject: [MBZ] The big test

So tonight the temp is predicted to hit a low of -9F.
I KNOW my 190D will start at that temp, or rather I expect it will, it
starts perfectly well at 11F which is the coldest I've ever had opportunity
to try it at.
Be that as it may last weekend at the hardware store I noticed a $6
Christmas light timer. I've always wanted to have the block heater on my car
come on automagically so I grabbed it. Tonight I've wired it up, at 4:30am
tomorrow it should click on so at 7am when I'm ready to leave my car should
start as if it were a warm June day.

Thats the idea anyway. 2.5 hours is probably way more time than is actually
needed for the engine to be reasonably warm but with my luck the cold will
make the foolish thing keep slow time and I'll actually only get 5 minutes
of heat before its time to go...

I'm not really worried about the car being able to start you know. I'm not
even interested in how keeping the engine warm will reduce startup wear
(although it probably will). No indeed I'm more interested in the fact that
pre-warming the engine should significantly cut down on the amount of
driving I have to endure before the heat comes on.

My wife is a bit miffed that we've spent $180,000 on a house so I have
somewhere to plug in my car.

-Curt

In case you didn't get it from the last line I was attempting humor here. Of
course my brand of humor does tend to be a bit dry...