Brian - Part of trying to answer would be knowing if you are looking over an
already constructed home or starting to build one and want to make sure they
are doing things correctly.  The problem areas for me in homes have been
electrical:
- do you want dual lines to ceiling fans to control fan / light from the
switch; adequate plugs / breaker box; build in a generator matrix so you can
easily use it [input box for the generator and a list of which switches to
have on/off].  I had a house that had all the electrical outlets mounted
flush with the joists [idiot subcontractor].  Drywall application left all
of them with 3/4" of play on plug in.   I have seen phone lines pulled so
tight they would not stay on.  These things need such constant supervision
that the only way to make sure most is done correctly is to spend all day
every day at the site, or hire someone to do that [I know, that's what a
contractor is supposed to do].
As for the soundness of a house you are buying I have used inspection
companies on every purchase.  $700 for the last one, but we got a through
list of everything about the house, so few surprises.  Otherwise check on
quality of the finish carpentry, check to make sure the roof has the proper
clips to keep it on during whatever big blows you have in your area.  If you
are doing a shop / garage area you might want to have it constructed as a
shell so you can do the design yourself.
Just the start ... I'm sure there are others with shop specific advice and
more experience than I have.
BillR
Jacksonville FL