-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Dave Wakin
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 3:01 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT House Build Quality

I have read what the last few people have stated, and I agree with what has
been said. I worked in the construction field since I was 12 until I was 22
when I graduated college and got a desk job. I worked for guys who really
cared about stuff, and other who only cared about the bottom line.

I bought my first house at a bank auction and rebuilt the thing myself over
a period of 5 years. I am picky about how things are done, and made sure
things were done correctly and accurately. When the time came to buy a
bigger house a few years ago, my wife and I looked at quite a few places.
Some only a few years old, some a few hundred years old. My wife was
interested in the newer stuff, while I liked the older. Looking at the work
in some of the places, it amazed me at what stood out as cob-jobbed, sloppy,
or just not correctly done. My wife usually didn't noticed stuff, even after
I pointed it out (And even in the older houses, there were things that were
not done properly back then too).

What really got me was that when we went to sell our house, it was worth the
same price as one that was of similar size and location, regardless of what
the differences were in construction and detail. We ended up trading houses
with a couple that were looking to downsize. They wanted something smaller
and maintenance free, we needed something bigger. The new house is around
200 years old, and still doing pretty good. A few sags here and there, old
knob and tube wiring, leaky windows, etc but well built.

Dave Wakin