Those console-mounted ignition switches stuck down where salt and crud could get to them, rotting them out. I had a girlfriend at one time who had an old Saab, she called me one day and said the car would not turn off. So I go there, and the switch was stuck "on" and could not be "offed." I can't remember what I did, I think maybe told her to drive it to a shop where they replaced it. At least she wasn't stranded by not being able to "on" it. Another buddy had a Saab, had to replace the switch a time or two as well (and from junk falling in it from above).

I inferred that they don't use salt on the roads in Svenska, or carry drinks, or have toddlers that emit upon them.

--R

Zoltan Finks wrote:
It's pretty funny that we were just discussing broken down cars in the
cold, and I touted Saabs as being well-designed for cold.