VWs in the 70s were very thrifty with fuel, at the expense of performance. I had a '79 Jetta with the 1.6 engine and 5-speed; it did get very close to 50 mpg out of the (56HP?) non-turbo 4 banger. Any acceleration when in 5th gear required a shift back to 4th, unless you were already cruising over 65mph, where the engine was wound tight enough to have some torque available. That car was very reliable (there were some reported issues with the manual transmission) , but it also cured me forever from buying a small displacement non-turbo Diesel!

Werner

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Streib" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Holy cats!

Yeah but will a VW diesel really "get 50 MPG easy".  I think the
ratings when new were in the low-to-mid 40s, and it's usually hard to
achieve the rated mileage.

When people say stuff like that in ads I question the trustworthiness
of the rest of their statements.

Allan

"Bob Rentfro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

That's ultra sweet. I nearly got one of those for wifey to drive
after we got married in July of '80. I had my '72 220D and I was
looking for her a car. I was getting ready to leave work one
afternoon and to go to the bank and my dad (I worked for my dad
inspecting/cleaning sewers) gave me a heads up that he was telling
everyone else the next morning he sold the business and everyone
would be unemployeed in a week. As a result, I never went to buy
it. Sad.

--
1983 300D
1966 230