Curt Raymond wrote:
Actually...
My 190D has been starting harder than I like. Its been cold so I attributed it
to that and bought some Power Service.
Zero difference...
It got so I'd have to hold onto the go pedal and it'd catch but if I let off
the pedal within 30 seconds it'd die.

This morning I was inspired and opened the fuel cap. Instant easy start.

I drive an hour each way to work. So the fuel in the tank must be getting
pretty nicely warmed up. Over night it cools to -1F (or whatever) and creates
some vacuum in the tank.
The engine can pull hard enough to over come the vacuum and pop the vent in the
cap but it doesn't like doing it when its cold...

Eureka, now to deal with that vent.

Check and be sure that the vacuum high idle system is working as it should. With a slight leak in vacuum, the idle will remain low and require that you hold the pedal down for the first 30-40 seconds.

See 7.1-010 part D in the engine manual or the CD for description of the pneumatic idle speed control.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)