(assuming PO was telling the truth about
starting and then turning around the car on the driveway)?

When I first saw the car 2 months ago, it was pulled in, and last week when I went over to test drive the car, it was backed in. Also, the rad and hoses were slightly warm and pressurized although not close to normal operating temperature. This leads me to believe the guy. I suppose that he could have pushed it, and the cranking attempts were enough to get things slightly warm, but who knows. If only I'd gotten there a couple minutes earlier!

Kevin in Hillsboro, OR
1983 300sD 266K miles, Ursula