??  I was told that as a matter of maintenance and precaution, we should
change the timing chain and rails on our 1983 300TD and 1985 300CD every
100,000 miles.  We change the oil on both cars religiously.

On 3/13/07, Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Stephen D Murrell wrote:
> About $1600 to change timing chain & ALL? GEARS; does engine  have to be
> removed to change lower T. gear on Crankshaft; if so maybe that is why
> the high price; crank gear is the highest cost but top 2 gears are only
> about $25-$35 each unless they have went up?
> thanks, Steve

Unless the engine has been trashed, it is almost never necessary to
change the timing gears when the timing chain is changed. On OM60x
engines timing chains tend to last about 400-800kmi if the oil is
changed in a timely manner and you use good oil. Simple to check and
measure the timing chain stretch! The short chain to the oil pump is
virtually NEVER changed until the engine is rebuilt top down.

A Mercedes diesel is not built OR serviced like 'Merican Iron.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)